Tuesday, February 14, 2006

birthdays and blizzards


it's good to take a break sometimes. when you have an extreme personality (i prefer the word "extreme" to "crazy", OK???), it sometimes becomes necessary to take some time off from the outside world and just lay down for a while. in my case "a while" means 5-6 weeks. i decided to zone out and watch an abnormally large amount of television and listen to music and hang out with my dog while i waited for the craziest semester of my life to begin.

so here we are. and along with a solid 30 credits and the seemingly unattainable goal of being 200,000,000 times better at music by the end of the semester than i am right now, i have also made an attempt to rejoin the world of the living. i guess realizing that after this year i won't have the opportunity to sit in a classroom with world-renowned jazz musicians and sponge off of their talent has made me...well...scared shitless. therefore, i'm transcribing my ass off, arranging tunes for my recital, and basically going music crazy. it's taken three years, but how nice to know that now, in my final semester, i'm finally taking advantage of my fancy learnin'. i started planning my senior recital, which promises to be the biggest most unbelievable event of the year, due mostly to the fact that it has taken me 8 fucking years to get my bachelor's degree and i'm ready to celebrate the fact that i'm moving out of my parents' house.

in addition to the dusting off of my cerebellum, i have also dusted off my dancing shoes and actually made it back to the city for the first time since new year's. it's good to go away for a while because then people actually get a chance to miss you and are happy to see you when you get back. and i, of course, love to make a dramatic entrance. thanks to michelle for having a birthday, because it was a night filled with cake, electro, and love all around. and i have an announcement to make: after 10 years of being a professional debaucherer, i have finally learned the true meaning of the word MODERATION!!!!!! yes, yes, i know, congratulations are due. it's been a long hard road, but i think i can see less blackouts in my future. i'm by no means saying that i'm not going to blackout occasionally, but i think i'll try and space them out a little more. baby steps, people.

so in addition to a fabulous night at fat baby, my weekend also included shooting a video for datcyde's cd/dvd (which will include three songs i'm featured on) and a goddamned blizzard. if you didn't know, the northeast corner of the good ol' U. S. of A. was hit so hard by two and a half feet of snow that dave had to spend about a half hour digging out my car and the inhabitants of 246 driggs decided to spend 36 hours doing what all brilliant-minded new yorkers should do in a blizzard: eating, smoking weed, drinking beer, watching the olympics, and bidding on ebay auctions. it's the simple things in life, you know.

No comments: